Thursday, September 27, 2012

A New Kiva Loan

I learned that I had a Kiva credit, enough to make a new loan, so I went searching for a loan in Kenya.  Not only do I sponsor two children in Kenya, but I just saw an interview about an upcoming PBS special, "Half the Sky" about the oppression of women in Kenya and so I wanted a new loan to be for a woman in that country.

When I saw this woman, I felt a kinship, of sorts, because of the size of her family and because she seems to be a devoted grandmother.  I also hurt for the pain on her face.


Mukombogo, 50, is a widow. She lives in her own house that has electricity but no piped water. Mukombogo has seven grown children, three of whom are still under her care.

She started raising and selling local poultry more than 15 years ago to earn income and support her family’s daily needs. It has been a profitable business, which sustained her even before her husband passed on. She is also thankful for her children's contribution to paying her expenses.

She has requested a 50,000 KES loan to buy chicks and chicken feeds. She hopes her sales will increase so that the business will grow. She enjoys this business because it is not too involved and gives her time to spend with her grandchildren.

No comments:

Post a Comment