Thursday, May 2, 2013

Letter from Wainaina

I had a letter from Wainaina today.  He is from Kenya and is 16 years old.  I went back and looked over the letters I wrote to him last year.  I always make sure I ask him a lot of questions, yet I have never had one single question answered and he seems to write the same letter over and over again, or variations on the same theme.  Here is this month's letter

Dear Beverly Sykes,

Hello.  I greet you in the name of the Lord.  How is your family?  How are you doing?  I hope you are doing well.  I and the rest of my family are doing quite well.  I still pray to God because I am now a form one student and I hope you will always pray to God to bless me.  In Compassion we are doing well.  Im very happy to be in Compassion.  God has blessed me with great teachers.  I hope we will have a peaceful election.  I'm very grateful for the gift I received.  May all the blessings be with you.

I wrote to him about the recent election in Kenya and asked about voting in that country, and gave him a brief history of the voting rights of women in this country.  I am betting I will never had those questions answered!

No comments:

Post a Comment