Monday, July 28, 2014

Meet Brayan

After I finished reading "Enrique's Journey," about a boy from Honduras whose mother had left him when he was 5, who made a perilous journey to the U.S. to find her at age 15, I felt so discouraged by the way our country is treating children fleeing poverty and violence and trying to come as refugees to this country.

I knew that as one person there was nothing I substantial I could do, but I could add a child from Honduras to our family.

Brayan is 12 years old, the age Enrique was when he decided to try to earn enough money to make the dangerous trip to the U.S.  He lives with his grandmother, like Enrique's sister did (Enrique lived with his father) after the mother left.  And he has been waiting for a sponsor for nearly a year.

Compassion tells me that he had one sponsor for about five years, but they only wrote to him once a year.  He then had two more sponsors who were assigned to him, but didn't want him.

Both parents are alive, but the father has never been in the picture, and the mother does not live with Brayan and the grandmother.

I had to take on the sponsorship of this child.  I hope to get to know him and maybe make a teeny part of his life a bit better.

No comments:

Post a Comment