Wednesday, February 22, 2012

Letter from Theresa

It has been 3 months since I received a letter from Theresa, in Ghana.  Since she is only 4, the length of time between letters is really determined by the staff of the center where she goes to school.  But it was lovely to hear from/about her finally.  According to this letter, she has I guess 3 siblings (4 are listed, but as one is 30, I suspect it is a parent!).  She is the youngest, with siblings 6, 8, and 10.  (no indication of whether they are brothers or sisters).  
Her letter thanks me for words of encouragement, pictures, stickers, and a Christmas gift and then goes on to talk about her life.

Theresa would like to tell you she is in her second term at school and family are happy.

Hey, Theresa says she enjoyed your story (I told her about my son Ned losing his two front teeth and I asked what the custom is in Ghana when a child loses his/her baby teeth).  It really made her laugh out loud.  In Theresa's culture, children throw their lost teeth on the roof of their house.  They believe when this is done it would make the permanent teeth come out early.

And then there is a picture of "Theresa's backyard flower."  Looks like a cactus.  It also looks like it has swallowed Teresa!

1 comment:

  1. I've heard of so many people telling me about their sponsored children throwing their baby teeth on the roof. Interesting! I wonder where we got our under the pillow idea.

    ReplyDelete